RE: teaching/professional portfolio

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 14:19:48 PDT

We just hired a new art teacher and I was involved in the interview
process. A portfolio was the icing on the cake, to me. THe actual
talking interview, stories of job experiences and situations, community
involvement, discipline style, philosophy of education and classroom
style, as well as tales of their most successful and least successful
projects were what made up the interview. Show and tell was always one of
my favorite parts, though, because you could get such a picture of the
applicant's creative teaching style through seeing the work of their
students. I think you need it all. I'm all for web pages...they can be
looked at by anyone in the interviewing process so easily. It gives a
complete picture to have visuals as well as written and oral parts to the
interview. In my school, applicants are even asked to teach a class for
the selection committee.

---