Re: teaching/professional portfolio

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 09:55:43 PDT

my university supervisor was really helpful when it came to out teaching
portfolios- As this was a class assignment, he gave us a format and order to
put things in. Here is basically what he instructed us to do.

first page: resume
next, teaching certificate or letter from the university stating I had been
recommended for certification/ in process of getting certified
next, a 1 page autobiography giving the basic
how-I-arrived-at-this-career-choice
next a philosophy of art education statement
next, reference letters
next, slides or photos of personal artwork- (my slides are high quality, but
not easy for interviewers to look at in the binder. I scanned slides and
photos and arranged them on a page using photoshop, printed a couple of pages
out and slipped them into plastic page protectors.
Next was the elementary section. It includes a description page about my
elementary student teaching placement, a "summary of best practices" from that
placement, lesson plans I taught there and photo examples, and my elementary
classroom management plan, which consists of a discipline plan w/ rules,
rewards. consequences, parent letter, seating chart sample, grade book sample,
etc
Next was the secondary section with the same general stuff and also a grading
statement.
We also included a "permission to document" form at the end that was a release
for photographing students and their artwork during student teaching- it
basically states the photos will never be published and are only for the
portfolio.

Anyway, it was a great thing to have at interviews. The photos of students
working and their work were of much more interest to administrators that my
own art. Having the discipline plans on paper made a good impression. I don't
think they were concerned with the content of the lesson plans so much as the
fact that I had the state standards addressed. I have the "TEKS" listed as a
section in my lesson plan format.

Hope this is useful info! Good luck.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---