Re: New Jobs: Years of service?

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 10:53:36 PDT

re: Years of service

I think we are one of the only professions that the public actually gets to
vote (school budgets) on what pay we eventually get. And since the taxpayer
rarely gets to have a say where their money goes, school budgets become the
whipping boy for all of their grievances on other issues. Our pay scale (at
least in New Jersey) is based on years of service/education earned only, and
it is very equalitarian in that all of us teaching at the same "level" make
the same money, male or female, favored or non favored, good or bad. What
many of my contemporaries are doing is retiring out, (I'm almost there), and
then working at a private school, thus collecting a pension, and a small pay
check as well. They are able to make choices that might have been
uneconimically feasible before, i.e. teaching at a single sex school, or a
smaller venue than the public school. We just retired out 25 teachers out of
a staff of 85. The way the Board of Education looks at it, and the public
as well is this...those teachers each made an average salary of $80,000, and
they can hire a young teacher without experience for $35,000 each...thus
they have saved $45,000 per teacher times 25 teachers on the high school
level, and another 13 in the lower grades. That's big bucks to a Board of
Education that is always strapped for money, and it's great publicity for
the beleagered tax payer.

San D

---