RE: teaching/professional portfolio

---------

Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 19:33:29 PDT

Dawn, After teaching for 13 years in one school district my husband and I started looking around for a job closer to our families. I put some student work and my work on a web page. I also took a lap top with student work, lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, ect. on it to show. At not one interview was anyone interested in my portfolio. Most interviews were an hour or more long and all they did was ask about my classroom style, discipline, how I handle integration of subjects, my philosophy of art education, how I create equality in a cultural diverse society, how do I connect with my students, parents of my students, how do I show leadership or involvement in my community and with my colleagues, what type of administrator style do I like to work for and many more questions that dealt more with quality teaching? They gave scenarios and I told them how I would handle them. We were both offered a couple of the jobs. Hope this helps.
Bergie

Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
Mitchell Public Schools