teaching/professional portfolio

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 17:49:10 PDT

hi yall-

I'm trying to decide what to include in my portfolio
and would appreciate some feedback.

I've included photos from my elementary classes of my
students working. I included a unit developed for a
university course that is geared towards high school
to show my lines of thinking since I haven't taught at
this level, but would like to.

I am a little concerned about including too much text.
 Should I be including lesson plans or images with
brief captions?

I'm also not sure how to handle my own work for an
educational job for several reasons.

For one thing, I think that there are a fair amount of
educators out there who are not crazy about
contemporary work and the unit I developed for the
high school level is based almost solely on contemp.
work. I've picked up on a quite a bit of the "modern"
approach from the people who have been teaching for
the past 20 years - like dept. heads. This is fine,
but I recognize that a fall solidly on the postmodern
side of thinking and making. In addition to this, my
college portfolio is drastically conceptual.

My portfolio is in slide form and my work has changed
and I will be starting over basically -

so, any tips for shooting work digitally? I consider
myself a painter, but most of my work is 3d.

Should I put together a portfolio that shows a theme
(and shows I can teach students how to tie their work
together)at the risk of being too conceptual?

or should I go back to some of my early work and show
a variety of introductory design and printmaking
stuff?
I don't have much left, but I could tie this in with
some of the experimental things I've done since
college - pinhole and photo transfer projets. This
would definitely not have a line of thought, and it
would not be what I consider "my best work." But then
again, what I consider my best work may not
demonstrate the EPD's that someone is looking for in a
teacher.

So, for the few that are still out there, I'd really
appreciate your feedback on any or all, and anything
else I may be overlooking.

Thanks, Dawn