Kiln Fumes/Safety

---------

From: David or Courtney Aman (aman1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 11:48:06 PDT

I teach in an elementary school built in the mid-70s, so the kiln is right
inside in my classroom. It has a hood vent, which goes through the ceiling,
but it's anyone's guess how well it works, and to where it vents. I don't
think this is a healthy situation, even though I only turn it on as I'm
leaving the building in the afternoon, and it has shut off by morning.
I'm trying to get the kiln relocated to another, more isolated room, but
since that would entail the expense of new wiring, exhaust, etc., I need to
have some documentation on how unsafe the present situation is--for me and
for students--before the administration will take me seriously.
Does any one know of a source of information I can use to back me up?
Thanks!
Courtney
aman1@mindspring.com

---