easy binding for sketchbooks, etc.

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 10:44:00 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
From: Janice Keenan <jekteachme@yahoo.com>
>Originally I purchased pre-made sketchbooks for my high school
>students. =
>I discovered that by purchasing 9x12" drawing paper, 9x12" tagboard for
>covers, and the spriral binders I can have my all my grades 7-12 art =
>students have a sketchbook for under $30.

  Do you use the same with your elementary kids (2nd through 5th)?
  Jan in Miami
I'm not about to get into this discussion about sketchbooks...pros and
cons...as we've discussed this at length in the past...see the
archives...and many people then didn't agree with me and I don't have the
energy now to take it on.

My reason for posting is to let you know that the "binding machine" is a
perfect way to go. There is some initial start-up monies to purchase it
($200 or so) but once it's bought, it so easy and CHEAP to use and the
machine has lasted forever. The only investment after buying one is $.03 or
less for each "comb" per book plus your 9x12" paper (or whatever size you
use). The combs can be easily opened with the machine and you can take pages
out or add at will whatever you want to or change the order of entries. The
middle school kids can do it themselves with some pre-instruction....and it
LOOKS pretty darn professional (which the kids really like).

We have an art project with const. paper, pastels, glue, markers that
incorporates a number of blind contour drawings on top of each other and
these are laminated for protection and provide enough stability for great
covers.

You can also use 12x18" paper and "comb" the short end for large works and
have a larger book. I recommend this machine if you're searching for a
quick, easy-to-use method of "binding" books for the classroom.
Toodles.....Bunki

---