Elementary/middle school judging

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 05:17:30 PDT

Janet mentioned that some of her artwork is judged. This
brought to mind several questions I have for the group. I have
had several teachers of the above groups state that they do not
feel students of those levels should be judged. I get comments
such as "it hurts that age to see they did not get anything"
Yet at one time on a volunteer basis, some elementary teachers
entered students work in a calendar contest. The one big
difference, there was no viewing of the winners.

I disagree. I know they have a track day and students are
entered into the competition and then get medals or ribbons.
We were thinking about a principals choice awards for each
campus to be displayed at our Spring District Artfest. I got a
lot of negative feedback on that.

Another thought, was for there to be a display of work by
teachers. I do know students are interested in that. Some
teachers feel that this takes away from the students show. I
disagree with that. It is an ARTFEST. If students show their
work, what better way to show them and the community what
instructors have to offer to students.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Before I make
decisions on these items, I would like answers to these
questions as research.

1. Should elementary and middle school be judged?
2. Should there be at least a principals choice for each campus?
3. Should art teachers also display work at the district ARTFEST?

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org
jab1997@bryanisd.org