Re: sketchbooks- what to use

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 21:46:52 PDT

sketchbooks- what to useI am one that does assign sketchbooks as homework, but I try to give a wide range of drawing ideas for the student to choose from. The only way that I can ensure that my students use their sketchbooks is to assign lessons and give grades. Yet, I want to instill that these journals are tools for learning. Therefore, I give 25 points per weekly assignment providing the student has put forth honest effort. The quick scribble done 5 minutes before class gets 0 points. I give "Mona Bucks" to those students who truly do an outstanding job on an assignment. These Mona Bucks can be exchanged for rewards - I bring in pop once per 9 weeks, or the student can use them for extra credit, or exchange them for one weekly assignment. I am stingy with the distribution of these. In these sketchbooks I also give a flat 25 points if the notes/quotes/etc are present. I wish my students would draw in their sketchbooks on their own, but few do. I feel that the practice gained from these assignments is comparable to a musician learning to play an instrument - you cannot improve if you don't practice, practice, practice! :-)
~Michal

  If my sketchbook is going to be assessed by some standard then I ain't keeping it any more.
  Please , I look at the discussion on sketchbooks and think homework assignment can be substituted. It's not the same.
  And I'm not sure all kids can be forced into the true meaning of the sketchbook.

---