Re: Textures

---------

From: Susan L. Sanders (slsandrs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 11:04:36 PDT

Adri

You may be talking about plaster ( it is a white substance that thickens
when mixed with water...it dries very quickly... it is used in
frescoes). You could be talking about "gesso," another white substance
that is used to cover a canvas or prepare a canvas for receiving
paint...it is sold like paint in pints, quarts, and gallons, but I am
not sure if this is what you might be referring to....

You might try going to a store like Home Depot or Home Quarters or a
hardware store that would carry paint and the supplies to do what you
are wanting to do. The people who work in those stores here in Memphis
are usually very helpful.

We have several friends in Memphis from Brazil....one is there now
visiting her family. We also hosted a high school Brazilian student in
our home several years ago for an entire year. He was from Recife; we
had another student who was from Rio. They made my life very
interesting that year because they had never seen snow, or leaves fall
off of the trees...they were not used to playing soccer wearing shoes
and protective gear...they both went to local high schools in Memphis
and near by Olive Branch, MIss.
They also did not understand why we did not have a fence around our
entire yard to keep people out. Both boys were from very wealthy
families and were unaccustomed to having to share with brothers and
sisters. It made for an interesting year for all of our families.

Good luck with getting all of your paper work straightened out.

Susan Sanders, Curator
Visual Resources
University of Memphis
slsandrs@memphis.edu