Re: Grading the sketchbboks

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 05:49:30 PDT

I tried them for the first time with my 6th graders this past year (our
elementary is K-6) and was very pleased with them. I tied them in with
Matisse (after we read "When Pigasso met Mootisse", then did Picasso). They
created a collage on the cover, then used the first page for vocabulary
words. I didn't use them at all like I do with my 7-12 students since I only
see my 6th graders for 50 minutes a week. I allowed them to get out my "How
to Draw" books if they finished a lesson and had a bit of down time. I used
the "Drawing Drawer" idea, my substitute used them when I had to be
gone..... They were great little filler projects that the students loved -
they seemed to always want to work in their sketchbooks. These were simple
little spiral bound books with about 10 pages and colored paper covers.
~Michal

> I would love to see a list of your sketchbook assignments, as well as
> a list of assignments from anyone else on this list. I teach elementary
> and have considered adding sketchbooks, but the expense of the books plus
> the consideration of handling the time spent grading them is daunting to
> my already CRAMMED teaching time lifestyle. I already work into the
> evening many nights on our webpage, or power points, or research, or
> grading of projects, advance prep, etc. I see the advantages of
> sketchbooks clearly but would be interested to hear from others how they
> manage them.

---