Re: sketch books

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 05:05:43 PDT

Mike, once you try one of these many ideas you will
get a natural flow for the sketchbook that works for
you and your students. When I first started using them
(middle school level)I had the students copy the terms
from the board (stipple, crosshatch etc. lets say) and
then do a visual illustration of what the term means.
I tell my students that art terms are probably new to
them and not used very often in everyday language.
Before I would let them get the "good" paper for the
project at hand I had to check their sketchbooks first
to see that they understood the term(s). This gave me
a time to talk with the students, compliment them on
their understanding (or maybe guide them in the right
direction, but usually with 1 or 2 terms they were all
good), and it gave everyone a chance to get a good
mark in the grade book. I still do this method today,
with High Schoolers, and it works beautifully. Ya know
why? It was what my drawing professor always did, and
I liked it. I didn't know what to do with sketchbooks
either when I started teaching. Hope this helps.
Cindi