sketchbooks- what to use

---------

From: Marian Colman (colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 02:55:23 PDT

Joe,
The students purchase their own sketchbook. I ask them to find one that is
spiral bound, either on the top or the side. I also ask them to go for the
heaviest weight paper they can find. I explain what 50, 60, 70 and 80 lb.
weight paper is. Some kids buy the really nice hardbound journal types and
they are great. Some don't listen to me and buy the cheap sketchbooks that
have the glued binding and they fall apart before long. We have an Ocean
State Job Lot here and they often have reasonably priced sketchbooks for $2
to $5. Students also go to CVS, Staples or the local art supply store. My
colleague made them this past year with her Foundation class. She said they
took greater ownership in the sketchbook which is probably true but it took
a long time to make them. I prefer to spend the class time teaching the
concepts I need to cover in a semester.
Good luck,
Marian

---