barbies in art

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 14:36:15 PDT

I don't know if I told you all, but I took the paper doll books that I won
on Ebay and designed a project for my advanced students. They loved the
project and did some fantastic work. AND it was perfect light faire for the
last weeks of school! We did a fashion design unit. As I have done costume
design for local theaters in the past, and have a portfolio of designs from
scratch, based on a specific play, that was my starting point. I explained
about the use of theme, and the use of croquious (sp?) by designers. (A
croquiois, I say crokees, is a predrawn model that you design on). I gave
each student a Barbie and a Ken pattern, and they overlayed transparent
paper to do their designing. They used colored pencils to indicate color and
pattern. Their theme was EARTH, WIND, WATER, and FIRE. They had to come up
with four drawings. (Most came up with 8!) They were so excited to do the
work, and the work ranged from very Donna Karan conservative, to way out
designs appropriate for Cirque du Soleil, with a smattering of Andy Warhol
pop art designs. Surprising enough to me, was that the guys really got into
it. (You haven't lived until you have seen hip hop designs for water!).
This project was their exam project, and Friday was their exam. For the day
of the exam they each had to stand up and 'sell' their designs, and talk
about fabrics and accessories (they even designed the accessories). They
each mounted their work on matt board, and I encouraged them all to take the
work to college with them in case they decide to change their majors to
fashion design. (Which I might add, some of them may do as they surprised
themselves with their own work).

San D

---