Regarding sketchbooks...

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 06:32:45 PDT

Having students keep sketchbooks, irregardless of the particular art
discipline that they are involved with in class, is a tremendous way for
them to build on their observational, inventive and inquiry skills. The
sketchbook becomes a vehicle to record a variety of images from straight
observation in reference to any number of different applications being
studied in school, to coming up and experimenting with new ideas outside of
the confines of the classroom. The sketchbook can also be a tool for
getting students to write narratives about what they are doing or engage in
creative writing that may or may not be linked to projects being worked on.
In an art-based humanities class that I created years ago, I had students
create sketchbooks loosely constructed around a Leonardo da Vinci model in
order to have them combine images and writing in order to illustrate new
ideas or inventions that they could envision that would be beneficial to
society in some way or other. Simply put, the utilization of a sketchbook
as a teaching / learning device, can provide students with a tool that
allows them to not only personalize and communicate their own ideas, but it
also gives them more access to a creativity based learning model that they
can carry with them wherever they go and bring out at a moment's notice. I
have found that many of the students that I have had over the years have
made huge leaps in their ability to invent concepts on their own, develop
their observational skills to a far greater level that was possible within
the constraints of the class / studio, and become much more involved in the
whole creative process by keeping a sketchbook as part of their art
experience.

Hope that this helps.

Kevan

---