Re: behavior contract

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 06:45:58 PDT

I would have to agree about the behavior contract and
students' reaction to it. I have tried using one, and
I have found that it is more work for me and more of a
reason for students to rebel. I don't have a list of
rules or expectations, just a handout with procedures
and a short list of consequences for general classroom
noiseyness and individual discipline matters. By
middle school students already know that they are
supposed to respect you and everyone and everything
else, and to suggest that they don't know this could
be considered insulting to them. I'm not saying that
they always practice respect- because they definitely
don't and at times they need to be reminded to be
respectful- but I think respect happens more naturally
when you as the teacher model it by being respectful
to them. whew- what a mouthful...hope it made sense.

Jayna