Re: "kids did it" marketing kids art ... noit sure what I think about this :?

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 05:18:09 PDT

Well, if everything is on the up and up--legal issues, contracts, typical
royalties, parental concent, etc. Why not? In the day of children's
talents being exploited through athletics and other areas, art deservs it's
due. Also, especially in light of the fact that art is taking a beating in
the educational arena, any uplifting positive light we can shed on the
world is welcome. However, there is always a down side--mainly
exploitation.

How many times are we asked each year to provide students' work (and ours
to for that matter) for free for a a variety of reasons--fundraising,
competitions for commercial projects, etc.?

I think I'm OK with this as long as it's kept legal and parents are
involved and made aware of all of the ramifications.

Judie

> <A
>HREF="http://www.kidsdidit.com/Press_Releases/KDIChecksBeaconArticle.shtml">
>Kids-Did-It! Properties’Ѣ - San Diego Beacon Article</A>
>
>http://www.kidsdidit.com/Press_Releases/KDIChecksBeaconArticle.shtml
>
>Here is an article, about this company... started by a private lesson art
>teacher, that markets kids art on tshirts, gift bags, etc. Some big companies
>have bitten into this idea. I bought a few of the bags at a dollar store,
>thougth the designs were great !, But... on reading more about it... I'm not
>quite sure if I like this idea or not.
>Kids get 10% of the sales for their design. She has a group of about 42 of
>her students that produce the designs. Not sure what the teacher (who runs
>this company with her husband) gets as her percentage.
>Of course this article was on their website, so it speaks well about their
>business. I have to see if there are any articles elsewhere that give another
>point of view.

---