Re: New school in the fall.

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 21:04:17 PDT

Teresa, I am teaching HS art for the 3rd year at a new
school without any prior experience teaching art or
the block schedule (taugh middle school Math on 45
minute periods 6 years). You will love the block, like
Christina said, plenty of time to clean up and plenty
of time to prepare. You will find the personalities of
each class is different and I found I altered my
teaching format to "move" with the class. I did not
alter dead-lines or objectives, just shifted if I read
or talked or drew or showed slides or demonstrated
1st,2nd,etc.. I also have 1-AP in the same block. I
enjoy that too (but didn't know anything other way
either) because there was always a project going on
and I could see students watching students work. I
also liked the fact that the experienced art students
could hear terms/see examples that younger comp's were
learning, this kept them grounded to the basics and
familiar with the expressions. Now this is just my
opinion, when I was given this position (and boy did I
want it!) it did not come with a pamphlet on how to do
it, I was just told here ya go....... and they
expected me to do the rest. And I did. And so will you
 :) have fun, let it flow, and enjoy your students.
Please feel free to ask me anything and I will be glad
to help you. Many on this list were there for me, they
are great.
Cindi in Fort White, Florida

leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu