Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 15:05:49 PDT

Patty writes: Teresa, since you are in Europe,
> perhaps you don't
> understand the "legal " fears that drive the
> initiatives here. It seems
> everybody can have everything without any
> consequences because of the fear
> of law suit. It makes no never mind what learning
> takes place or what
> accommodations are made for that learning, if mommy
> or daddy threatens with
> a lawyer ---- all methods are out the window.
> Perhaps you don't understand
> a class of 30+ half of which have an IEP Forget
> any intellectualized
> method of delivering information

Thanks Patty for pointing the downside of what is at
stake. Having working in U.S. school systems for 20
years before going abroad, I can say that yes I do
understand and Yes I do agree the schools ideally
should start over and yes I wish they would find
another path and yes I think we need to stand up to
fear.

I think the world and individuals and school systems
and teachers and people in general need to stand up to
fear - like to stand up to the fear that the
President of Pakistan creates by threatening to drop a
nuclear bomb over New Delhi - to stand up to the
fear that President Bush and his nay sayers create by
the fabricated Al Queda group which is a media
creation and yes to the fear that we are threatened
Americans over the planet and the fear of parents
threatening lawsuits, yes, I understand that you need
to do what you need to do to survive in your situation
and circumstance. Stand up to fear, wherever it is,
however you can.
Teresa