Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Is art education dead?

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 15:05:49 PDT

Patty writes: Teresa, since you are in Europe,
> perhaps you don't
> understand the "legal " fears that drive the
> initiatives here. It seems
> everybody can have everything without any
> consequences because of the fear
> of law suit. It makes no never mind what learning
> takes place or what
> accommodations are made for that learning, if mommy
> or daddy threatens with
> a lawyer ---- all methods are out the window.
> Perhaps you don't understand
> a class of 30+ half of which have an IEP Forget
> any intellectualized
> method of delivering information

Thanks Patty for pointing the downside of what is at
stake. Having working in U.S. school systems for 20
years before going abroad, I can say that yes I do
understand and Yes I do agree the schools ideally
should start over and yes I wish they would find
another path and yes I think we need to stand up to

I think the world and individuals and school systems
and teachers and people in general need to stand up to
fear - like to stand up to the fear that the
President of Pakistan creates by threatening to drop a
nuclear bomb over New Delhi - to stand up to the
fear that President Bush and his nay sayers create by
the fabricated Al Queda group which is a media
creation and yes to the fear that we are threatened
Americans over the planet and the fear of parents
threatening lawsuits, yes, I understand that you need
to do what you need to do to survive in your situation
and circumstance. Stand up to fear, wherever it is,
however you can.

Do You Yahoo!?