re:junior high

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 11:12:58 PDT

To get off on the right foot with middle schoolers, I
suggest definitely having your expectations and
procedures in place, knowing where you'll store work
and supplies, and establishing procedures for cleaning
up. Middle schoolers are antsy and like to have an
excuse to talk and get up, so make sure you keep your
supplies in the same place all the time, and keep
cabinets and such marked so kids can easily find what
they need. Otherwise, you'll hear "I need some tape,
where's the glue, where are the markers?" all day
long. Keep small or dangerous items like needles and
exactos numbered so you can keep up with them, and
match the number to the child's number beside their
names in your gradebook. Start the
year/semester/quarter with a wow 'em lesson like step
by step linear perspective- which shows them that you
know how to draw and guarantees a good product for
those who have little confidence. Plus, it shows you
early on who can handle a ruler, who knows how to draw
guidelines light enough so that they won't show when
erased,etc. I also prefer to teach the elements right
off hand, and linear perspective takes care of line
and space, plus value if they only use pencil for the
finished product. I use my overhead projector for this
and have them draw along with me for the first two
days of class. Good luck and have fun- middle
schoolers are a blast!

Jayna