Re: junior high

---------

From: Marcia Lavery (miss_lavery_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 20:42:02 PDT

Michael, Hello! Congrats on your new job! I just started teaching too, I started this past January at a junior high school. For the first quarter, I was sooooo busy. If I were you, during the summer, figure out every lesson that you plan to teach and come up with handouts for the kids and get everything ready to go ahead of time. That's what took up a lot of my time during the first quarter. Also, visit your school several times and take inventory of what the school has as far as prints, videos and so forth. That way, you can organize and gather the materials that you will need ahead of time. Also, you will have time to find any other resources you may need (like pictures of artworks). Make examples of the projects you plan to teach. There is so much that you can do ahead of time! My biggest tip for teaching is to be strict from Day 1. I was a little too leniant in the first few weeks and then one of my classes got a little out of control. Good Luck! Marcia