AP Studio- I started it

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 19:32:38 PDT

I also agree that AP Courses -no matter what the discipline- demand that a
student conform to the rigors required of a college level course. And that
in itself should be the reason to do it.
My concern is what I see about AP art evaluation. When I look at the
poster, when I view the web site examples I have to wonder how much
'teacher-hand' is in the work. Some of the work is so slick and so
sophisticated. I just don't have kids capable of this kind of work unless my
hand is directly into it. I have observed programs where the teacher is
dictatorial and the "hand" is obvious.

It's been a few years since I did one of the AP Studio workshops, but I had
an opportunity to observe the judging process. A gym filled with thousands
of portfolios with evaluators going up and down the aisles - with what
looked to me like looking for "slick." There seems to be little time to stop
and look for potential.

I have, every Fall, art school reps visit my class. And I can see from their
observations and evaluations they are not looking for slick, they are
looking for potential. And dare I say. teachablitity.

God bless you if you have students that are creating such skilled work .
Once in a while I have it and for that kid I provide all the opportunities
afforded, but mostly I have 'babies' in art and mostly I am interested in
cultivating the sources and resources for the basis of informing and not so
interested in the slick.
And I say again, nothing I can offer on the high school level can be the
equivalent to a foundation year course at an art school.
Patty

---