Re: need help - architecture-3rd grade

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 03:53:55 PDT

i did a neat lesson with 3rd last year - tree houses. they worked in teams
and i gave each group a tree branch that looked much like a real tree, set
in plaster in a coffee can. the kids worked together to create a structure
to fit their "tree's" branches using found objects, tongue depressers,
string, cardboard, etc. i even found some small rubber "tires" so they could
make a tire swing. they had to consider what functions the house would
serve, safety of the occupants, how to get up and down. they loved doing
this and came up with some pretty unique creations. another class did a
variation - houseboats. i gave each group a rectangular piece of board and
they made gang planks, railings, cabins, and deck furniture, flags flying
from masts. both classes loved working on these to projects.

linda in michigan

on 6/12/02 12:46 AM, yes itsme at yesitsbob@hotmail.com wrote:

> i was wondering if anyone had any ideas. i'm teaching architecture/design
> to kids this summer. i can handle the kids in 4th grade and above. but k -
> 3rd give me a challenge. any project ideas for the little guys? its for a
> 6 week program, i'll probably have them for about 4 hours per week.

---