Re: school discipline policy based on merit/demeritsystem--anyoneheard of this?

---------

From: Susan M Kipp (smkipp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 09:46:29 PDT

---- Original Message -----
From: "Maggie White" <mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com
> I truly believe that the majority of our students crave structure and
boundaries that they may not get at home--even when they complain bitterly
to the contrary.

This is so true at our school. It makes me so sad that WE are the main
support for so many of our students. Today is the kids' last day of school,
and they have been showing in sooo many (positive and negative) ways that
they don't want to be gone from us the whole summer. Last week we had THREE
separate MAJOR incidents of abuse (that I became aware of) --the police were
here, etc. It made me wonder who's going to be keeping an eye on these
precious ones, who's going to nurture them, who's going to give them those
LOVING and CARING boundaries and structures they so desperately need for the
eleven weeks that school is closed?
Susan in OR

---