Re: AP Studio teachers

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 06:55:06 PDT

In a message dated 6/10/02 12:46:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
slsandrs@memphis.edu writes:

> I think it is a big rip-off and if your
> students can get into solid schools without it, then more power to
> you...and your students. As a parent I can't see where participating in
> AP classes was of absolutely any value....

Sure the students can get into schools without A.P. but they are missing a
very important part of the A.P. program.

Discipline, the ability to produce a body of work with a thematic section and
a demonstration of a breadth of techniques and or media is worth the effort.
Some schools will take you because you are alive and don't care about grades
or portfolios. These art schools want bodies with money and figure they will
weed out the weak ones.

A.P. students must show initiative creativity and hard work to complete the
portfolio. The process of doing the portfolio prepares them for the hard
work and time commitment college art classes will demand. I tell my A.P.
students that it is not just the grade or the g.p.a. but it's the discipline
required to be a good art student that they are gaining and the resolve to
finish a task without quitting.

Let them take A.P. art for the process of doing it and let the rest take its
course.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA

---