Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 06:59:40 PDT

I completely agree! I had a student this year (10th grade) that had an IEP
that had a list of "helps" a foot deep. I was supposed to check on her
consistently and monitor, help, prod, etc to make sure she stayed on task
and understood all directions. What I came to discover was the poor girl was
so afraid of making a mistake that she just wouldn't try anything for
herself. Her first clay project required her to cut a square out of a slab -
she spent an entire class period fretting over it, afraid she'd mess it up.
I kept telling her that if she "messed it up" it was super easy to roll that
clay out and make another slab. She kept asking "EXACTLY where do I cut it?"
My reply was "I don't know EXACTLY where you'll cut it, but I am sure
excited to see you try!". She finally began to work on her project
independently and you all know how she felt when she finished! Guess whose
classroom she always visited during study period!
~Michal

> I find that the system pads these IEP's so that they do not get
> that law suit.

---