Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 05:59:52 PDT

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>if an IEP says every ten minutes you have
>to tap a kid on the shoulder to make sure he is awake and if
>you don't ,and
>he fails, then it's the teacher's fault and he passes anyhow.
Patty,

I find that the system pads these IEP's so that they do not get
that law suit. I enjoy sitting in on the ARD meeting for
students to help develop the IEP. When I confront the parent
and ask if their child can be pushed and not handed the
information, most go along. When their child graduates, believe
me, an IEP will not be written for that job. I can see them
telling the boss, "Tap him on the shoulder to make sure he is
not asleep". Then there are the IEP's for the students who
really have the problems with things such as reading or writing.
 I try to help as much as I can. I help those as much as I
can. What I do have problems with is the children I don't have
experience with such as dyslexic or autistic. I am not trained
in those areas. The one autistic child I had, his mother worked
with the for the district, understood a teachers frustrations,
and worked well with us. Most of those I have fail, get the
grade for I document it is not for not knowing how or
understanding, it is because they fell asleep. When I call
home, parents are informed work is not getting done due to
sleeping. Most say, because they stayed up to 2:00 watching TV,
working, or playing Nitendo. Oh I can go on.

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org
jab1997@bryanisd.org