Re: AP Studio teachers

---------

From: Susan L. Sanders (slsandrs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 12:48:58 PDT

I must reply to this AP art issue...not as a teacher, but as a parent.
Two of my four children took two years of AP art. The Scholastic
contest here is so slanted (so it appears) towards those teachers who
have repeatedly done well in past exhibits, and/or the teacher's own
preferences which seem to rule out certain children ( especially when it
comes to projects that that particular teacher created herselfhimself)
that I now think the most valuable lesson a child who takes AP art is
this: Art is subjective, how teachers look at is subjective; how judges
look at it is subjective...so in the long run it really doesn't matter.
If I knew then what I knew now...I would have saved myself the time and
money and stress it placed on my kids to fufill AP portfolio
requirements (and they both got 3s and 4s on their portfolios)....it
counted for absolutely nothing in respect to their college classes.
Sure the colleges they attended gave them the earned credit points...but
they still had to take the most basic course requirements....neither
school they attended gave them any credit for beginning drawing or
painting classes (even though their work and their notebooks abounded
with examples of both). I think it is a big rip-off and if your
students can get into solid schools without it, then more power to
you...and your students. As a parent I can't see where participating in
AP classes was of absolutely any value....

Susan L. Sanders
slsandrs@memphis.edu

---