Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 14:50:54 PDT

Sidnie, thanks so much for describing this experience:

> my pottery 2 class ran as a constructivist class--although I'd
> never heard the terminology

This semester,besides the regular coursework, I had my 12'a curate
exhibits of their own work, and the work of other classes. Some did a
fabulous job and are actually looking into post secondary studies in
curation. Others never took their hands out of their pockets. It was
group work too which adds its own plusses and minuses to the mix.

> "The class generally degenerated in the 4th quarter. They were all seniors and got really sick of school--started working on making senior mugs, ignored about half of the requirements, and since they all did it, was I going to give them all poor grades???"

Very similiar happened to me. Something like a mutiny. Last day of class
I talked to them about constructivism! (Those that showed up).
However, I'm not sure the situation was much different for teachers of
more structured classes who also taught this group. So did they all get
A's?? I still have to mark mine! Thanks. Peggy

---