Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 14:50:40 PDT

> I think we need to
> let go of trying to figure out the how, why, when,
> what and where of learning. Instead, we need to simply
> engage in it and let it take care of itself. If
> learning is in a process of constructing itself, it
> cannot be predetermined.
> Teresa

My heart leaps up at this statement Teresa, and yet, I know that the
system I have chosen to work in (me too of the late bloomin, in their
50's, art teachers) demands more "rendered content" of me and my
students. It seems to me that a point of engagement is necessary in the
form of a basic assignment with basic expectations. Without this, some
kids will drift away, having little internal structure to keep them
involved. Some kids, strong at the core, don't want my little
expectations, but want to fly far--sometimes too far, devising
unattainable projects for themselves. My struggle is to come up with
paramaters and indicators that engage, interest, guide, protect, push,
and give good feedback to students. I feel more like a midwife than a
constructivist. But I"d like to be building the baby too.
     I think that we will never be done with trying to figure out the
why, what and where of education. Trying to figure out the w's is just a
human thing to do, we're built that way. That's what we're doing here,
no? Please keep on, I feel like I"m learning something. Peggy

---