Re: school discipline policy based on merit/demerit system--anyoneheard of this?

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 18:04:44 PDT

Behavior Modification (Behavior Mod) has been around for ions, whether it
works with a point system or reward system. I don't necessarily know if it
should be institutionalized on a grand scale (i.e. in an entire school), but
each individual teacher should be able to have a choice as to whether they
would want to do it or not. I would prefer not to (paperwork is a nightmare
for me, and all I can see this as being is keeping tabs). I think a good
teacher does behavior mod on their own terms anyway in the classroom. I am
lucky to be teaching in a suburban school where by and large the parents
have done their jobs. But that said, adolescents love to push buttons and
redefine boundaries so I am kept on my toes all day. I also think that a
point system implies that life is fair, and that you do this, then that
happens...and we all know life isn't fair in the least. I don't mind
students seeing me as a human being, who sometimes has flashes of anger, but
mostly, as one of the poets in my class said "is a human smiley face all
yellow".

San D

---