Re: school discipline policy based on merit/demerit system--anyoneheard of this?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 14:41:56 PDT

Sidnie Miller wrote:

> I know that keeping a record of all the demerits is a huge nightmare.
> Also you have a problem of some teachers give demerits for chewing gum and
> small things like running in the hall--they
> get a little control happy with handing them out--
> other teachers save them for serious events--admin gets crazy with the
> number and inequity. Sid

Sid's absolutely right. The school-wide program should be fairly
explicit on what constitutes inappropriate behavior. I see a program
like this as more of a last resort--we have a very detailed program, but
I only do write-ups when my in-class strategies don't work.
Gum-chewing, to me, is an issue best left to individual teachers; they
can make up their own policies and deal with the infractions themselves.

Maggie

---