Re: school discipline policy based on merit/demerit system--anyone heard of this?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 14:15:58 PDT

Jarsawyer@aol.com wrote:

> This all seems so negative. Do different ethnic groups respond differently to this kind of "discipline"? > What we really need is smaller schools and personalized learning.

Are criminal and civil laws and their consequences "negative" also? Do
different ethnic groups respond differently to the various laws on the
books? Do we need to account for a person's ethnic group when arresting
him or her for breaking the law? Gawd, I hope not--we have enough
problems with racial profiling as it is!

We in the public schools are having to deal with the lack of moral and
ethical training our students used to get from their parents. There are
too many students who have zero comprehension of right and wrong. They
simply do not see what's wrong with stealing our supplies, and their
parents back them up. We certainly need a system already in place in
order to deal with problems in a consistent manner.

I do agree with you that smaller schools would help, but they cannot
take the place of the moral training that parents should instill in
their kids.

Maggie

---