Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 12:14:27 PDT

Henry writes
> I'm in my fifties. I've come into the profession late.
> In my head at least I understand a lot of the theory
> and ideology being slung around in the colleges of
> education and art ed. I've always been prone to get
> ahead of myself and the institutions of education, with
> one exception, have always been perfectly happy with it's
> graduates using a default mode of exposure to curriculum
> followed by social promotion. My grandmother would have
> called it "a lick and a promise'.

I too, have come into the education profession late. And in my few short
years have seen 'what goes around comes around' too many times. I sit in
faculty meetings and Inservice days and chuckle at presentations that just
seem common sense to me. I also chuckle at lofty notions that just don't
seem practical, given the limitations and restrictions in the public
schools.

Seems to me there is little regard for those of us that have been "around."
That maybe we know something that the ivory tower crowd only speculates
about. I think, for the most part, we look for individual avenues and are
constantly constructing our delivery to those needs. What I worry about is
a forced implementation of a method that may in fact not meet a need. And an
understanding on the administrative end, on just how diverse the learning
process is, and that one way, one method , just doesn't do it.

monitor and adjust no matter the method monitor and adjust

I too fall back on what is comfortable for me, but doesn't mean I don't
explore and experiment with some practices that may not be so comfortable...
because, to me, learning is about risk taking and challenge and not so much
about the easiest way

> That's why we can't afford to "let go of trying to figure
> out the how, why, when, what and where of learning" and
> carry it over into our didactic practice.

Amen, Henry. We get oh so hung up on what we think should be instead of
exploring what could be.
Public education is in a crisis. What is the harm in delving beyond the
comfortable?

I like this from Henry
> So if you've forgotten more about Constructivism than I'll
> ever know then by all means "let go of trying to figure out
> the how, why, when, what and where of learning." You've "got
> it" so "Just Do It!" If you ain't there yet... please, step
> away from that edge, and don't jump!

I think about the last time I 'jumped.' It turned out okay

Thank you Henry,
Patty

---