RE: messages with attachments

---------

From: gregg davis (dear23_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 10:40:37 PDT

These messages are all symptoms of an infection with the Klez worm -
which is able to send messages to people in the infected address book
from other people in the same book. If you're in the infected address
book, other people may get infected email that looks like it's from you.
Here's how Norton explains it:
>>Some variants of this worm use a technique known as "spoofing." If
so, the worm randomly selects an address that it finds on an infected
computer. It uses this address as the "From" address that it uses when
it performs its
>>mass-mailing routine. Numerous cases have been reported in which
users of uninfected computers received complaints that they sent an
infected message to someone else.

>>For example, Linda Anderson is using a computer that is infected with
W32.Klez.E@mm; Linda is not using an antivirus program or does not have
current virus definitions. When W32.Klez.gen@mm performs its emailing
routine, >>it finds the email address of Harold Logan. It inserts
Harold's email address into the "From" portion of an infected message
that it then sends to Janet Bishop. Janet then contacts Harold and
complains that he sent her an
>>infected message, but when Harold scans his computer, Norton AntiVirus
does not find anything--as would be expected--because his computer is
not infected.

~gregg