Re: computer technology

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 11:57:20 PDT

> I have about a million thoughts on this topic and they
> are not entirely synthesized, but I'd like to respond,
> so here goes...

so do I, so here goes mine:

As for the synthesis of technology and art..no doubt it can be done. My
philosophy is that whatever tools an artist uses to express themselves
totally is cool with me as long as they understand the relevance of learning
the principles and elements of design, the notion of establishing a thesis
statement, and the idea that the difference between a monkey and paintbrush
and an artist and a paintbrush is that an artist is capable of making
aesthetic decisions.

We all teach they way we learn best. I prefer the smell of paint, and the
coolness of clay. But that's my generation. Other generations will no doubt
be excited by pixels, and the bonging and beeping of computers. Art on the
computer is definitely limited by the software, whereas art in 'space' (for
lack of a better word), is not as limited. A pencil will do, and so will a
glue stick and something to glue down, as well as ground up oxides with a
binder for paint, smeared around with a brush. Try making something look
fabulous on PAINT on the computer, if you don't have the money for fabulous
software.

Many moons ago I won an award which allowed me to take money and buy
anything I wanted for the classroom. I bought an Amiga computer (remember
them?) which at the time was the state of the art computer for color
graphics. I allowed my advanced students to borrow it months at a time to
take home to 'fiddle with'. One boy (who is now an illustrator/graphic
designer, graduate from Pratt), spend all summer making an animation of
skeletons chasing something. He said at the time, that it was too much
trouble, and it took hours and hours of work and it didn't interest him. But
he followed through, as he was want to do, to challenge himself. I think it
does take a special type of artist to meld technology with art. We
eventually took the old Amiga apart and glued the 'innards' onto paintings
about technology.

San D

---