fun line lesson HS

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 13:13:55 PDT

Hi
  I thought I would post my line lesson for the beginning art students in
HS. They have to create a school room full of children using line only.
Each child is represented by a rectangle resembling a piece of notebook
paper in blue parallel lines, with one red line and 3 black circles for
holes. They can manipulate the blues lines, one red line and 3 circles
anyway they like (however the blue lines must be parallel to each other).
They are challenged to produce 20 kids and 1 teacher. So for example, for
the teacher they might draw the piece of 'notebook' paper with the blue
lines going straight across, like they normally do. The then might take the
3 circles and put them on the lines, two as eyes, and one as an open mouth a
few lines down. Then they might take the red line (which normally runs down
the side of the paper, and have in run across, circle each eye and continue
across, thus making glasses.

Each kid must be represented by a sheet of paper. Students first decide on
personalities of the kids. So, for example, the kid that might be hungry,
his lines might dark and then get lighter as they go up. There might be a
bite out of the edge of the paper. Or the kid that is a cheater, might have
the the two circles that would be the eyes, way over to the side of the
paper, staring at the other kid, who was also represented by a sheet of
paper, usually with the red line forming an A+ on his paper.

am I explaining this right? Anyway, kids over the years have manipulated
the shape of the 'rectangular paper' as well, they have drawn it crumbled
for the messy kid, they have drawn it folded into a paper airplane for the
bored kid, etc.

These come out super, and makes the kids think about how line can be
expressive on many levels.

San D

---