RE: web site

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 08:45:04 PDT

Yeah, Jackie! I want to piggy-back on Renee's comment to keep it simple and
add/revamp later. In fact, you may want to create a skeleton site to begin
with hardly any content or images and then add more later. Make a bone bare
site, upload it, and have a couple of people check it out for easy
navigation before you invest a ton of time into it. I know I'm going to get
blasted on this (because some people will think I'm addressing them) but I
notice so many art teachers web-sites that get so carried away with cool
effects, background tiles, and images that the page is way too long to load
and very distracting. Add images, animation, or other effects when it is
usable and serves a purpose rather than just decorative. Keep your pages
short so that each page only has a few links and you don't have to use the
horizontal and vertical scroll bars. Another thing Renee said that I
whole-heartedly agree with is drawing it first: both the overall flow-chart
of how pages will be organized and the page layout style that will be
consistent throughout the site.

Good luck- keep it simple at first!
Michelle