Re: computer technology

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 04:56:50 PDT

Diane, you really touch on a very important topic--the struggle with
keeping up with this technology generation or being left behind in the
dust!!! I believe there is a balance somewhere.

I insist on the students thinking of the computer as another tool to
explore and not one to replace the traditional modes of working. One thing
I have had students do with their computer generated work is to continue
working on it manually in some way. For example:

        Print it and finish it out to the edges of the paper matching colors.
          Have you ever tried to match acrylic or tempera colors to the inkjet
        colors? A real exercise in color mixing and other principles like
        proportion, perspective, etc.

        Cut up the printed computer image and rework it into a collage, woven
        or other type of composition.

        After working on the piece manually, scan it back into the computer
        and push it further.

As far as the amount of time we spend on cell phones, voice mails, e-mails,
xerox messages, etc., I don't have a solution to that. I, too, miss the
human contact. I feel that technology has created more work than
nontechnology--volumes of info to process continually. One of my pet
pieves is the phone messages that send you round and round without ever
reaching a human being on the other end.

Perhaps we have to come full circle with the idea of technology, realize
it's positive effects, but return to some more traditional ways to nurture
our "souls".

Look forward to other's thoughts on this topic.

Judie J

>Right now there seems to be such a steam roller effect with
>technology and if one dares to question the efficacy of its
>use you are somehow not with it. I have no conclusions at
>this point, but as one who is usually regarded as a
>technological nerd of sorts, I just wanted to share my
>doubts and concerns with you and to start a friendly
>discussion on how we can harness technology without losing
>too much of our own souls. Any ideas?

---