The Clucks

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 19:08:53 PDT

Hi, All,

Today was the last day...whew! I still have end-of-the-year clean-up,
but it's a relief to know that all the projects were completed and all
is well with the world of art...at least in my little school
community... until August.

My 4th graders finished their mummified chickens and were really excited
about their accomplishment. They papier mached their mummy cases" King
Cluck's had a head and wings of a rooster sitting on top of the case,
spray painted in gold and adorned with sequins, beads and paint. Queen
Cluckopatra was "reclining" on her mummy case and had many wonderful
hieroglyphic patterns decorating her case. Jewels were a important part
of both cases!

I had the students write at least a paragraph on whether they liked the
project or not, (they all loved it), what was their favorite or least
favorite part, what was one thing they learned that they were most
fascinated by, and if they were an ancient Egyptian, what would they
take to the tomb with them. These were hysterical.... I combined all
the resource info that they researched, the diary or journal they kept
of the process and scientific observations, the digital pictures taken
of them during the cleaning process and their comments and made a book
and copied it for each to have.

The principal put the Clucks in the main hallway glass showcase along
with the book. You can't miss them! She is leaving for a new school
next year, but told the kids not to worry that the Clucks were safe
because when she put them in the case she added an ancient Egyptian
curse on anyone that dared move them after she had gone. The kids
cracked up. So, all is well and hopefully they had a good a time as I!

Sandy

---