Re: Student teacher

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 17:58:36 PDT

> As long as you feel what you have to share is valuable and important,
> the students will too! You have that passion for art and that will
> come through. Pick projects/ideas that you find fascinating yourself.
> Good Luck.
>
> K2flames2@aol.com wrote:
>
> Hey all!
> This thread is of interest to me since I will be doing
> my student teaching in the fall. Any suggestions or
> comments on how I can best prepare myself?

Karen,

Hi. I'm one who is getting a student teacher in the Spring. I met with
her today and she told me that she can't wait! (I'm a nervous wreck!)
She did a long term sub position in our school to decide if she thought
she would like teaching and had it within herself to love being with
these little people all day. Would teaching spoil her love of art?
Legitimate questions, for sure.

She told me today that she was inspired by what she saw her class
bringing back from the art room. (Made me feel much better!) She told
me I confirmed for her that the things that she thought were important
for the children to learn about art were being done plus more than she
imagined that they were capable of was coming out of the artroom. (I
was feeling better and better because you will have those days that you
ask yourself, "Why in the world to I do this?"

She has worked with a few of the art teachers and helped out in their
classrooms in our district because of her association with them outside
of school. She likes the fact that I get so excited about what I'm
teaching that the kids are excited about learning it. This sounds like
the advice given to you by Barb. That is my best teaching
strategy. I push my kids, too. I expect their best and I usually get
it. Also, be really prepared and think your lessons through. Be
organized so your lesson won't be ruined because of poor clean-up
transition or not enough supplies. Speak intelligently. I have heard
first year teachers stand in front of their first grade classrooms and
use the poorest grammar! Not that I am flawless (lord knows!) I make
mistakes all the time, but to mess up rules you should have learned in
fourth grade is downright embarrassing. (Maybe I better go back and
reread this note!) You get my idea. Art teachers are treated like
second class citizens in many cases and don't get the respect that
classroom teachers do even though we have spent equal if not more time
becoming certified.

Document your teaching experience with evaluations by students, parents,
fellow colleagues. Write an article or paper about your favorite
project and submit it to an arts magazine. Take lots of pictures or
students' work in progress and final projects. Pick every teacher's
brain you come in contact with. Don't be afraid to ask for help or
advice.

Have fun! If you e-mail me privately, I can keep you posted on what my
teacher and I are doing and you can tell me what you are up to, if you
wish.

Hope this helps,

Sandy

---