Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 14:47:01 PDT

Thank you, Peggy, for your latest post querying the
group about constructivism and keeping the dialogue
going.

Have you considered the fact that we may not know
exactly what kids are getting out of an experience?
How what we consider as "not buying in" to something
may be external indicators. And yet we may have no
idea about how the internal ones manifest later.
Because we can't see it now, does it mean it didn't
take place?

We (/teachers) trust them (/students) (and ourselves)
that their process (and ours) will lead them (/us) to
the learning they (/we) need to know.

As telelogical beings, each of us has the capacity to
learn. No one can make us, not curriculum, good
teachers, or schools. Things in our lives can make us
stop learning or interfere with it. I think we need to
let go of trying to figure out the how, why, when,
what and where of learning. Instead, we need to simply
engage in it and let it take care of itself. If
learning is in a process of constructing itself, it
cannot be predetermined.
Teresa

I"m still