Re: school discipline policy based on merit/demerit system--anyone heard of this?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 07:47:02 PDT

JKGIBB1@aol.com wrote:

> Several teachers in our building attending a conference and came back with
> information on a school that implemented a discipline policy based on a point
> and demerit system and they would like to see our building adopt it.

> Does anyone have experience with this program or one that is similar? What
> is your opinion?

Irene,

My HS adopted a point-system similar to getting points on your driving
record--we decided this would be a bit more "real-life" for them to
relate to. It takes a strong administrator and school board to back you
up; they must be willing to follow through. It also takes someone in
the office to keep track of student points and consequences.

There are five categories of offenses. Consequences usually begin with
two days' lunch detention for the first offense, then escalates for each
subsequent offense. Students accumulate points against them; at stages
such as 50, 75, and 100, there are meetings between the student, admin,
and parent. At 75 points most students sign a contract to reduce their
points. At 100 points they are placed in night school for five weeks.
If you will send me your address I'll send you a copy of the referral
form and the student handbook explanation of the system.

Maggie

---