high school projects and philosophy of curriculum

---------

From: wendy free (wendfree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 05:52:57 PDT

hi!

artsednetters who have a site with hs work, could you please post and let me
know? i'd really like to see what everyone's doing. i don't have a website
yet but do have a big assortment of projects (ms and hs), a scanner, and a
digitial camera - i'm very happy to share both ways; let me know what you'd
like "back"!

in thinking about a (2d) curriculum, my priorities are to develop:

1. representational drawing and painting skills
2. ability to work in realistic, abstract, and nonobjective styles
3. desire and ability to "personalize" projects by using images and ideas
which are relevant to the individual
4. interest in artwork from other people, times and places
5. realization of usefulness of understanding and employing visual imagery
beyond fine arts situations
6. pleasure in creating or interacting with some form of visual art which
will sustain students' long term interest in visual art

any feedback on these goals? i am currently most interested in and
challenged by #5. does anyone have experiences or ideas to share on how to
clearly communicate to students that they will be able to directly apply art
skills and learning (which ones?) to: (what?).

thanks! very interested to hear your replies.

wendy

---