Re: Favorite project of year (jellyfish)

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 15:15:02 PDT

Deborah, i did the papier mache with 1st graders who, at my one school, have
very limited prior experiences in anything except watching WWF on TV. i had
them work in teams doing the layers on one balloon each session for 2
sessions. if they don't finish the 3 layers in 45 minutes, by the following
week the balloon has lost its air and you have to start over. using the Ross
art paste gets them going a little, too so you might want to have some help
on the first day, maybe some parents or 6th grade helpers.

half hitch = cut length twice as long as you want it, fold in half and stick
the loop end through the hole about 1/2", then put the ends through the loop
and tug to tighten.

variations on the theme: fish - papier mache the whole balloon. add tag
board fin and tail. fish lips: twist a "rope" of tissue paper, dip into the
art paste and slime it around the hole where the balloon knot used to be.
this looks very cool! these might be tough on Ks unless the are very
coordinated. octopi - papier mache the whole balloon, last layer with light
blue and purple tissue. make tentacles by the double accordian fold method;
big paper eyes pasted on for both fish and octopi.

i did all this a few years ago and hung them all from the ceiling for the
art show; plastered the walls with underwater pictures; covered the lights
w/ blue cellophane and played the Beatles "Octopus's Garden" incessantly. It
was a big hit. Next time I do that it would be fun to add a giant papier
mache yellow submarine!

on 6/7/02 10:07 AM, BibelotsOutpost@aol.com at BibelotsOutpost@aol.com