Gifted Students in Elementary

---------

From: J+G Grant (jggrant_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 01:20:48 PDT

Hi,
I have been asked to briefly (very briefly) outline what my new school does for gifted students in the field of art. Well, nothing really special at the moment though I don't allow any of my students to rest on their laurels and continually push them to do more and to look at their work and critique, etc. etc. But this is not necessarily what parents want to hear. Any ideas as to how to couch my very brief words? Some of the students are only happy doing one particular style or using one particular medium and I know that I am pushing them out of their comfort zones by saying that that is not enough (particularly the young lads who are constantly doing manga style). Just today I had two classes where I had a lot of moaning and groaning. One was where I only allowed black, white and grey in the painting of winter landscape (trees are brown, aren't they?) and the other was the tearing of newspaper to get some animal shapes (practice before they begin on tissue - expensive!). The ones who knuckled down and trie
d came up with tremendous work (not necessarily gifted) and the others either continued carping and so did not complete work or tried to get browns and greens into their landscape (apparently they think I am colour blind). Anyway, I digress. I need some words to get through to parents that I am here to push their darlings to achieve more. Any ideas?
Gina
Melbourne
P.S. Bunki - Thanks for the info.

---