Re: AP Studio teachers

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 16:08:34 PDT

The changes in the AP portfolios worked well for me. We have little in
the way of 3-D so the boy who really wanted to do photography suffered
last year for his poor showing in the 3-D portfolio. This is only my
second year offering the program and I have a full class (13) for next
year. If it doesn't go better next round I will drop it. I thought it
was a great idea at first, and our high school is very AP oriented, but
the level of committment needed from students shocks many of them into
lethargy. I found the energy needed to keep them going second semester
where they completed the portfolio in the 11/12 class, just
overwhelming. The main problem was they weren't getting the great
attention and critiques and were unable to handle the independent
study. Also, with cuts and changes to our program, and all the dumbing
down thereby, AP Studio Art really amounts to a good 12 class.
     Do any of you AP teachers have problems with AP students having
their noses in the air? Mine were unhappy to be combined in a class of
regular art and kept themselves in a clique. Unpleasant! Peggy

---