Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 16:08:25 PDT

I'm loving these discussions now that school is almost over and my head
space is opening up for the summer. I"m still pondering the
constructivism chat, thinking that this is what I do when I have kids
curate exhibits in our gallery space. Trouble is, they don't all buy in.
What makes them want to do the constructing when they don't want to be
in school at all? They made some pretty great exhibits, but a number of
them never got into anything at all. Then, how does one evaluate the
learners if the teacher is also a learner (which I am)? The whole
experience of curating exhibits this year has been hard and very
different from anything I've done before. Art teachers, are you
practising constructivism in your classrooms? What do you do? How do you
evaluate? Does it work? Do you like it? Thanks, curious, Peggy

---