Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 19:18:30 PDT

Patty:
Right On!!! Sorry to use a 60's pharse. You make
complete sense to me. We are definitely suffering
from technology overload. Life has not become simpler
but more complex and stressful.
As far as art education today, it seems to be the real
and stable part of our existence as it always has been
through the history of art and mankind. The art that
is being created today has is right in front of us and
we are just to close to see it. The definition of
art, in this confusing world that we live, obviously
has been altered by the very environment that produces
it.
When the Eygptians created their pyramids and
monumental sculptures I doubt if they were thinking
that thousands of years into the future their toils of
labour would end up in the journals of Art History.
Take a look around at our everyday lives - traffic,
polution, technology, lights, messages, email, cell
phones, fax machines. You are right these things have
changed many of our lives, habits, education,
communication, the way we think everything. To say
that art education is dead - never in a million years,
so long as man exists and continues to change the
world, art will always exist. It may take on
different forms and purposes- but it will still be
art. As art educators we have to make use of these
world changes and find ways to instill creativity and
inspire students to explore and develop new methods
and media. Traditional art forms are the corner
stones of art but it they remain stones unturned to
reveal a new world underneath - then maybe one can say
art education is dead or the corner stone has become
the grave stone. What an anology to think about. I
have no idea how I came to this level of thinking.