Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: henry taylor (tortolitascom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 12:11:25 PDT

Patty has a point.

A thousand years ago we would not have had any discussion, any question
about art. But then we were informed by tens of thousands of years of
tradition. 5,000 years ago we mightn't even have had a word for art but we
would have been informed by the same ancient traditions.

The core of art is understood viscerally and easily by any stone-age
citizen. It requires no thought and no schooling.

800 years ago (in the West) with the rise of the renaissance and globalist
commerce everything changed. Tradition slowly became a dirty word. I
think, I hope we've taken that ride about as far as it can go. At the
moment we are mostly blind and stranded, confused. We talk about art like
the blindmen and the elephant. Just shows how fragmented our understanding
has become.

We live at one end of a chain of at very least 20,000 years; 100,000 years
more likely. We live together on 57,268,900 square miles of land. Around
105,472,380,169 people have live on earth as of 1995. Throughout that time
and space there has been little need for most of those people to discuss
art. All we needed to understand was to do the best we could with what we
had--to care. As long as we had that everything else took care of itself.

If you can keep that in mind and accept it deeply you can go on without
much need to talk about art yourself. You will understand art, its place
in the world and what little you need to of its purpose.

But most of us can't seem to do that.

Aside from being a huge detour to a dead end, the rennaissance and what
followed gave us much and vastly expanded the possibilities for art. it
wasn't a lost venture. FWIW

just some thoughts

-h

---